The Chogoria route is our recommended and arguably the most magnificent ascent route to the summit area. It is the driest route up the mountain and the walk beside the Gorges Valley truly spectacular.
The descent by the Sirimon route takes one through some beautiful forest tracks and completes the traverse of the mountain.
- Traverse the mountain from East to North via the Chogoria and Sirimon routes.
- Climb Point Lenana, the highest trekking peak on Mount Kenya.
- Ascend via the quieter and most dramatic Chogoria route
Tour Description provided by Go To Mount Keny
Day 1: Nairobi - Mt Kenya Bandas (2,900m) 3hrs, 7km walk, 950m ascent. After pick up in Nairobi, we drive through agricultural country up to Chogoria town for lunch. After lunch, we take 4x4 and drive up to Mount Kenya park gate where we start our trek on a wide track through the forest, with occasional sightings of elephants, bushbucks, buffalo, and impala. Dinner and overnight at the Roadhead camp (3,300m)
Day 2: Roadhead - Minto`s campsite ( 4,200m) 5-6 hrs, 17km, 1,400 ascent. Emerging from the forest, you walk through heather before crossing the Nithi River to reach the moorlands from where you can enjoy good views of the picturesque GorgesValley, the Temple, lakes, mushroom rocks, billiards table, and the high peaks. Total walking time approx. 5 hours, picnic lunch en route.
Day 3: Minto`s - Pt Lenana ( 4,985m) Liki North Camp (3,900m) 9-10 hrs, 785m ascent, 1,085 descent, 19km. Predawn attempt of the summit starts at 0300hrs and you hike for about three hours up to Point Lenana (4,985m), the hiker's summit, arriving there in time to watch the African sunrise. Descend to Shipton camp for breakfast. After breakfast, begin a 3-hour descent via Mackinder`s valley to the Liki North camp (3,900m). The descent is gentle and it offers ample time to enjoy fascinating scenery which includes the moorlands before reaching the camp. Dinner and overnight at Liki North camp
Day 4: - Nairobi. 2 hrs walk. After early morning breakfast, descend for 2-3 hours to Old Moses camp and transfer back to Nairobi arriving late afternoon.
Mount Kenya rates 2021- Prices are per person in US Dollars and based on group size.
The following items are included in the above prices:
- All transportation to/from the mountain (private)
- All Park fees.
- All food while on the Mountain.
- Accommodation in mountain huts/ camping where applicable.
- All guiding services
- Porter support for the climb.
Not included are:
- Personal clothing and equipment (see equipment list)
- Tips and gratuities for guides and porter (recommended to be 10 - 15% of climb costs)
- Beverages while not on the mountain